Came across an ePUB file for the first time? Not sure how to read the ePUB file? Perhaps someone mailed you an ePUB file or you downloaded one from the internet and are not sure how to open and read it? Get all your answers here:
What is an ePUB File:
EPUB is the short name for electronic publication; also referred as ePub, ePUB, EPub, or epub. All these files have extension.epub. EPUB is a free and open e-book standard by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF).
EPUB is designed for reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for the particular display device used by the reader of the EPUB-formatted book.
How to Read EPUB Files:
The easiest way to open an EPUB file is to double-click on it and let your computer decide which default application should open the file. Ifyour computer is unable to open the ePUB file – you probably don’t have an application installed that can view and/or edit EPUB files.
EPUB files are supported by a variety of eReaders like iPad, Nook and Sony Reader. Unfortunately, one of the largest suppliers of eReaders – Amazon Kindle cannot read ePUB files. EPUB files have to be converted before they’re usable on the Amazon Kindle (see below on How To Convert an EPUB File below). You can open EPUB files by using one of the popular options:
- iBooks for reading books on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
- EPUBReader to read epub files in Firefox
- Google Books
- calibre – Works on both PC and Mac
- Sony Reader
How to Read EPUB Files on Mac:
Mac users can use a variety of programs to read epub files on Mac. Some of these in alphabetical order are: Adobe Digital Editions, AZARDI, calibre, Google Books, iBooks, Kitabu, Nook for Mac, Lexcycle Stanza etc.
How to Read EPUB Files on Windows:
Windows users can use a variety of programs to read epub files on a PC. Some of these in alphabetical order are: Adobe Digital Editions, AZARDI, calibre, coolReader, FBReader, Google Books, Lexcycle Stanza, Mobipocket etc.
How to Read EPUB Files on iOS devices:
iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch users can use a variety of programs to read epub files on their iOS device. Some of these in alphabetical order are: iBooks, Google Books, Lexcycle Stanza, readMe, sReader
How to Read EPUB Files on Android:
Android users can use a variety of programs to read epub files on an Android phone or tablet. Some of these in alphabetical order are: Aldiko, CoolReader, FBReaderJ, Google Books, Moon + Reader
How To Convert an EPUB File:
There are three main ways to attempt to convert an EPUB file to another file type:
- Open the EPUB file in its default program and choose to save the open file as another file format. If the default programs has the conversion capbilities, you need not install any other program to do the conversion.
- If your default ePUB reader does not have conversion capabilities, you can download Calibre for free and use it to convert EPUB files to and from other eBook formats, including ones compatible with the Amazon Kindle. Calibre should have automatically decided on the MOBI format if you use a Kindle as your primary reader.
Most computers don’t r come with a default epub reader application. If you have not installed any before – you can consider the free application : Calibre. It is one of the most popular conversion tools available for free.